Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Child tax credits advice help?

hi,my husband and i married im march but is only moving in with us this week,i rang the tax credits to explain who said we are being classed as a couple from our date of marriage and i have to pay ALL my child tax credits back from then until now (we had been told if we wernt living together once married it wont affect child tax) the man done an assesment today with my husbands details also,and i am entitled to exactly the same as what i have been getting anyway


my only concern is i have to pay it all back from the past 16 wks so in theory if im paying that back they havent given me anything between my marriage date and now,surely this cant be right,any advice will be appreciated thanks xxChild tax credits advice help?
I do know that the key factor is not the date of marriage but the date you started to live together as a couple.





If you have to pay money back and this causes difficulty, they will not ask for the whole lot back at once. They will simply reduce further payments by a small percentage and recoup it over a period of time that way.





The rule applies the same way if your husband where to move out - even if you are still married, you are then classed as separated and not a couple.





But do check to see they have calculated what you are entitled to correctly. If you were living alone with a child, I don't think you would get much less? In fact you would then not have to count the income of your husband for that time. So if anything you should get more?





I hope this helps?

No comments:

Post a Comment