Monday, August 23, 2010

I could use opinions and advice. Help me please?

First, I'd like to know what you think about my writing. Here's a couple little bits (completely unrelated to each other):


1.There's nothing quite as bleak as this. A table full of middle-aged men with pockmarked noses, cheeks rosy with drinks, and too-loud laughs. They've forgotten their inside voices and their tact. They're swapping dirty jokes and inwardly remembering how long it's been since their wives last let them touch them. Tables nearby glance at them, embarrassed, talking in hushed tones and shaking their heads. Tomorrow they'll go back to their desks with headaches and bloated bellies but tonight they feel like kings, like comedians, reckless and foolhardy and everything they used to be but somehow lost along the way.


2. The thing about Alice was that she was singularly talented in hindsight. Life, for Alice, was a trial. She would wax poetic about that thing that happened last year, and how much better things had been that one time that wasn鈥檛 now, despite the fact that she had been miserable about them then too. It seemed that for Alice the absolute zenith of her life had occurred at birth, and everything that followed had been a bitter disappointment. I don鈥檛 mean to imply that Alice hadn鈥檛 been dealt a fairly rough hand, she had, the woman looked like an angry bassett hound and had limbs so doughy, paper white, and deeply lined with varicose veins that they likened a road map. In short, she wasn鈥檛 attractive, far from it, and she deeply resented the universe and the powers that be for it. They had done this to her, and she would exact retribution by being powerfully unpleasant.





Also, I have a problem with only being able to write little sections like these and not turning them into something bigger. I feel like I get one part that I like, and then worry about ruining it if I go on with it. Any advice about how to get past that?


And, one more, any suggestions for good websites for writing tips/sharing?I could use opinions and advice. Help me please?
That is very nice writing. Your description and thought in to it is very well written, and it was a pleasure to read!


I have the same problem as you too. I keep writing little snippets of scenes but I don't know where to go from them.


Just keep writing and as you do the words on the page will form their own ideas.


As for webites, there are thousands out there and all you need to do is just type ';fiction writing tips'; ';writing information'; ';writing fiction'; etc.. etc.. in Google and it should come up with heaps. That's what I do and I have found many good websites by doing that.


Another helpful thing to do is Google Images the scenes that you are writng about. Sometimes seeing an image of what you are writing about can inspire you to think of something to add and so on....





Hope that helped





~flooI could use opinions and advice. Help me please?
wow. that sounds really good. both of them. i can just visualize everything!





i get the same way. i have something really good but then i become too afraid to add on in case i ruin it. but, of course, i go past it and continue writing (how else am i going to write a book?). my advice is this: just write. if it sucks, worry about it later. thats all you can really do.





websites:





fictionpress.com
I have the exact same problem with making fantastic little tidbits into equally fantastic stories... It is very hard. You just have to go with it though. You can't think to much about what your writing, and save the editing for after its done. Just go with the flow and ignore your gut telling you; 'it sucks!' or, 'its not as good as it could be!'... fix that all in the end.





as for the two story things, I don't necessary like the first one, but not because its not good, just because its not my kind of thing to read.





in the second one, its very good but you use her name too much, and your details are a bit too much at times. Description is good, but not when it gets in the readers way to imagine things.
Nice writing. As I am a writer prone to creating little chunks of randomness, I would suggest figuring out what you want the characters you have created to do. What are their strengths and weaknesses? How do they affect the story? You might try writing short stories. Or, you might simply keep writing little chunks and maybe you'll find that you can connect them in some way.
you know, honestly, i didn't like this. it didn't pop, it didn't jump or ';hook'; me. i kept on reading, hoping that it would and kind of trying to see where these excerpts would take me. nice use of adjectives but they were too watered down for me, personally. i see what you were trying to do with the description but the adjectives were watery ( i know i'm repeating myself here).





KNOW YOUR ENDING. That's first and foremost for ';me';, at least. Every successful writer I've seen interviews about or read some of their advice, has said that. perhaps ';that's'; why these are just chunks like this because you don't know your ending, don't know where the story is


going.





Chuck Palahniuk, the author of the book FIGHT CLUB http://aram.free.fr/divx/images/fight_cl鈥?/a> said that when writing that book, he said he wrote down 8 rules for the story. he said that he could go anywhere with the story as long as he always made his way back to those 8 rules.





here's 13 writing rules from chuck p. because published authors have something to say that's worth listening to in my opinion.


http://chuckpalahniuk.net/workshop/essay鈥?/a>





p.s. please don't get discouraged and delete this question. and my opinion here is NOT a personal attack. it's just one opinion, and there will be countless others. thanks for being brave enough to put your work up here like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment