Saturday, July 31, 2010

In desperate need of advice...? help please?

I am a junior in high school and am mega-stressed. Here's some of my activities:


-Participated in Chinese dance for 6 years


- performed with a group for new year festivals


- was involved in dancing a ceremony for Confuscius


- Was in youth orchestra for 4 years in two different groups


- Was in Debate Club 1 yr


- Volunteered in a library for 4 yrs, earning over 270 hours.


- I did Wu-shu for 2 years


- President of the Table Tennis Club


- worked 2 summers for the creation of the club.


Current GPA 3.76 unweighted, weighted 4.3 / 4.2


So here's my problem, i worry that I am not good enough to attend the top-notch universities for law (georgetown, univ of chicago)


I am afraid I am going to end up going Universit of Maryland (College Park) , my state college, which is like high school all over again. My high school is really competitive, and I am not sure I am smart enough or have that extra edge that can let me go to the college of my dreams. Am I worrying too much?In desperate need of advice...? help please?
I'm part Asian and my family and most of my Asian friends felt the intense pressure to go Ive League Or Else.





Don't sweat it. I know many people who went to an Ivy League school - some are leaders, some do okay, and others are not at all successful by society's terms. Same for boring old state schools.





Seriously, when you get out of high school and get into college and beyond, you'll realize the ';right'; college isn't as critical as you think.





I would say that you are focusing on the wrong priorities. Do your best, of course, but remember that getting high grades and racking up trophies for the sake of getting high grades/trophies isn't really learning.





Believe me, I was swamped in activities and pressure, too. My brother went to an Ivy League school as an undergraduate, but got his two Master's degrees in state schools. Likewise, my sister went to a regular college, but attended an Ivy League school for her medical school.





The name of the institution isn't imporant; it is the student who is important. Don't buy into all the hype about the ';right'; school or else your life is ruined/unsatisfactory. High school is a fishbowl world, and 10 years from now you'll look back and wonder why you spent so much energy worrying about these things.In desperate need of advice...? help please?
ur fine stop worrying so much
No, that's realllly good. You should not be stressing. Keep doing what you're doing =)
i agree with Melinda. you are doing very very well and you're on your way to the University of your choice. To ease your worries you can check out what the university you are looking into has as requisites...as in grades, extra curriculars etc. you could also talk to a guidance counselor and find out if you are doing all you can to get into that school. they can most likely tell you if you're ahead of the game and if you have a chance. but it sounds to me like you're doing a great job already! keep up the good work! and try not to stress too much ( i know i know easier said than done)
lol dont worry! you can and will do the things you really want to do!
if your grades are good then so are you everyone gets stressed and it more normal than anything really just keep going and dont drop classes it doesnt help then you feel wrong about dropping it

No comments:

Post a Comment