Thursday, July 29, 2010

My chihuahua is pregnant and I need advice. Help?

(This is my mom) Here's the scoop:


My eight month old chihuahua went in heat a couple weeks ago and she wasn't acting like she was anymore. I brought her to my girlfriend's house and we weren't there for maybe five minutes and me, my son, my friend, and her son were in the kitchen and we heard a scream from one of the chihuahuas. We ran in there quickly and they were hooked together; butt to butt. We didn't even think about it before we drove there and she is pretty tiny. She mated with a year old chihuahua who is much bigger than her. And I recently consulted a vet assistant and she told me that if she had one puppy, than most of the chances the puppy would be far to big for her to whelp the only puppy, therefore she would have to have a c-section. The assistant also said that if she whelps two-three puppies, she'll breed like a typical dog. But of she has more, than that might be a problem. My chihuahua is getting much bigger and plump. My son stays home all day and says she eats more than normal, lies around and sleeps a lot, and is much more loving and playful than usual.


I'm just curious what I should do to help her. Comments and any help is necessary. Thanks!


-Barbara.My chihuahua is pregnant and I need advice. Help?
In small dogs you hope for large litters (3-5) of small puppies to prevent c-sections. However this doesn't always work. You need to consult with your vet about her size and the potential of her going through dystocia (difficult birth). 30-35 days after the breeding an ultrasound can be done. It is hard to count puppies on an ultrasound because they move around. At 45-50 days after breeding an x-ray can be done to determine the number of puppies and their size in relationship to the pelvic opening. The gestation period is 62-64 days. So in the mean time start saving your money. Sometimes whelping a litter of unplanned puppies can be very expensive. If you feel that you cannot do right by her if she gets in trouble have her spayed right away.My chihuahua is pregnant and I need advice. Help?
The first thing i would do is go see the vet and have him or her figure out how many she is going to have and what is the best for her and the puppies. Then i would follow the advice of the vet to the T. I hope this will help and good luck sleeping once she has the puppies.
take her at 55 days and get a xray done.i hoped you marked on the calendar the day she was hooked with the male.the xray will tell you if she will need a c section or not if she does set it up then.be ready to spend out about $3000 if she does.
keep an eye on her and when she's 25 days pregant, she can have an x-ray to see how many pups she has in her.

No comments:

Post a Comment