Sunday, July 25, 2010

Omaha - I Will Be Homeless In Need Of Advice & Help?

I am going to be homeless in the next week or so and wanted to know where in Omaha will I not be alone? I want the answers coming from people who live here obviously. In what area specifically are there many homeless people? I am a teenager, so I do not exactly mean elderly homeless. Any survival tips I would appreciate also. Do homeless shelters allow teens or not because we are a minor? I don't know how I will make it when it starts getting cold if I can't resort there. I need as much information about managing all of this as I can get. I considered Downtown Omaha but I am not sure. Let me know wherever you recommend that you mention a homeless shelter that maybe nearby the area as well.





Thank you for your time reading this.Omaha - I Will Be Homeless In Need Of Advice %26amp; Help?
(Omaha is a cold MF in the winter head southwest to the desert.las vegas. Arizona. or southern-Cal.


If you think you will be stuck outside any I recommend a heavy weight Army sleeping bag. They have a lot of homeless programs for teens in California. You know a clean place to sleep and get your GED and meals and job training, and pretty liberal house hours, oh and I forgot clothes and medical help if you need it.


Teens there get treated really righteous.


The but if is, you got to want tot make the effort, not all teens are strung out on drugs they are just running from bad environments or have reached an impasse with their custodial family relations.


I will warn you their are a lot of men preying on young men and young women, and then again the situation is the same Women preying on young men and young women.


It is so easy to fall in with the wrong crowd if you don't displine yourself to the conditions where you always are having to elvaluate the other people whom are around and their motives for being in the area around the shelters location. Or where ever you go just to hang out.


How old are you anyway.


Have you talked to any people in the ministry or social service people.


If you got any cash get a bank card and put it in a debit account it is easier to control your money that way, walgreens sell them.


Money never let anyone know that you have any money at all, they will bleed you dry. Just like a leech you won't even know they are bleeding you dry till you are flat broke.


You have to learn how to spot safe areas to sleep and hang out or just to catch a nap.


a large back pack or duffel for your clothes


Standard homeless pack is water bottle toletries,A roll of TP, Three shirts three pants


four swim siuts to substitute for underwear. you will learn to borrow pools for baths and the swim trunks poof your there. eight pair of socks You have to keep your feet healthy and clean and dry. a wash cloth and a towel, two pair of shoes but shoes are so heavy oh i forgot a rain slicker in case you get stuck out some where a million miles from your next town the slicker has to have a hood. one pair of long johns.if your wearing tennis shoes an extra pair of laces.


A boy scout knife is the best utensil for eating and whatever you need. alsoa sewing needle and thread, a couple of shower caps in the little pack you get at hotels and motels, and two large Garbage Sacks for keeping your duffel dry and your sleeping bag dry.


a piece of plastic two feet longer than youe sleeping bag with you in it, and two and a half times around the sleepbag with you in the sleeping bag.


your can always recycle out in california for cash. and they allow passive pan-handeling.


Birth certificate best a copy,


leave the orginal with some one you can trust to have the same mailing address for the next ten years, Social security Card a state ID is really handy if it has your picture on it.


depends on how young you look , the younger the more dangerious for you unless your real smart, of course being Homeless is not smart.


If you look young you can make friends around your same age and manage a few meals and a little tv time if ou pretend your new to the neigborhood.If you older and look like you could be in college, dorm lounges and showers for a quick nap or bath just kinda go hand in hand , I mean easy access.


Never lie to a social worker or police if your straight and straight with them they usually can help or know someone who will.


If You get stranded at night sleeping outside a police station out of the way or airport or hospital waiting room will work , even outside a coastguard station will work if near the ocean and ana a fog rolls in.


During the day once you have hidden your bags in the deep shade of bushes you can walk around unhindered. If it is too hot and you want to duck in out of the heat a court room or hospital waiting room will work.


As a kid most of the motels Red roof innns , comfort inns, most all of them these days have a complimentary breakfast before nine in the moring that is what the shower caps ar for grab a news paper or a brown paper bag load up on the breakfast hide it in the news paper if your a kid the clerk will never even notice you. and ask you which room you in say I don't know I left the door proped open with my dads shoes because i couldn't find my key but That way I can find the room too, in case I forget the room number.


They will all shake their heads and look straight through you and say OH.OK. the shower cap you can stuff full of food and keep in your pack for later and it will wash in the sink and dry under the blow hand dryer.


three gallon zip lock bags for the back pack is good to.


well that is about it. don't carry any thing any more than that.,, A base ball hat to make you look younger and hide your hair,Omaha - I Will Be Homeless In Need Of Advice %26amp; Help?
Hey, if there is any chance that you will get this, I know it's been really really cold in town, and my boyfriend and I would like to offer you a place to live. If you get this, I know it may be a little too late, but hopefully there is some way for you to get this. Let me know. Prayers. Email me

Report Abuse



I'm not in Omaha, but here's what I found:


(402)422-1111 Homeless Shelter for Women


http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/sh鈥?/a>


www.SienaFrancis.org


http://www.opendoormission.org/


hope this helps


good luck to you and God be with you.
There are a couple of possibilities you may want to check out first both specialize in helping homeless teens http://www.1800runaway.org/youth_teens/y鈥?/a> (Despite the name this group also helps teens who are just plain homeless as well as teens who have leftb home. Very understanding and nonjudgmental. Has places to stay. phone is 1800runaway so easy to remember)





http://www.covenanthouse.org/ (also helps kids younger than teens who are voluntarily and involuntarily homeless phone is 800 999 9999 aka the 9 line)....there is info ion the site about what it is like to be a homeless teen too.





Many shelters do not accept unaccompanied teens.





A couple of possibilities hat worked for me when I was homeless were finding a job that proided a place to stay. Some that will do that are motels, mini storage facilities, places where one does grounds work or maid or house cleaning or childcare and some farms tho obviously farms right in Omaha would be mighty hard to find. Working a nght shift job which meant that my time on the street was day time.so I got hasseled a lot less. I worked at a hspital,friemds in the same boat worked at all night cafes and factories. Plus the earnings help in saving up to get a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment